Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A modern girl's guide to business attire and grooming

Sweaty palms, anxiety, nervousness, that knot in your gut.....you know what I'm talking about. Yes, the job interview. There are few things in life that make me as anxious as preparing and waiting for that day. This is definitely not my strength. I'm used to auditioning. Some stage makeup, flowers in my hair, a bathing suit top and pareu (sarong) bottom and basically "show me what you got". Dancing around trying to outdo the girl next to you in front of a group of people who just watch. That, I could see being nervous about! I could emcee an hour long hula show at Ala Moana Shopping Center if I needed to. There's just something about being one on one that freaks me out!

"Not appropriate? I wore my best bra!"
So in light of my upcoming interview as a bank teller. I have done some searching  for appropriate business attire, since clearly my coconut bra will not do. Personally, I just think they haven't given it a chance. Now ladies don't confuse club attire with business attire, and just because that juicy couture velour track suit cost an arm and a leg does not mean it's appropriate for work! 

Remember that every work place is different and some business' are more lenient than others. If in doubt, check first.


The Do's & Don'ts!

Do shop for basics that you can mix 'n match. A tailored business suit, pencil skirts, dress pants and crisp collared shirts in basic colors such as black, grey, navy blue, white and beige are a good start to building your work wardrobe.
Don't wear jeans, baggy clothes, sweat pants, short-shorts, shoulder-bearing tops, anything see-through or anything that bears your midriff.

Do buy comfortable shoes that match well with your clothing. Spiked heels, slippers or sandals are usually not appropriate. Check with your company's dress code if in doubt. Closed-toed and covered heels are always welcome.

Don't pile on the jewelry! Nice diamond or pearl stud earrings are acceptable in business settings. Nose, tongue or any other type of facial jewelry are almost never allowed.

Do cover any visible tattoos. (I actually have tattoos on my wrist and one behind my left ear. I didn't take into consideration how much this would affect me in my later years. I have to cover them all the time. Just something to think about if you're thinking of getting inked.)
My tattoo, "You were right, Dad."

Don't show up wrinkled! Nothing looks worse than someone who is wrinkled at work. If you don't have time to iron, throw your clothes in the dryer for 20 minutes. It won't completely get rid of the wrinkles but it will "relax" them.

My hair, bright red.


Do keep hair clean, neat and out of your face. If you are thinking of dyeing your hair something funky, make sure it is allowed by your management.

Don't show the girls! Yes, I mean boobies. I mean if you have 'em, great! At work, not the time to let 'em hang loose.

Do keep fingernails & toenails clean and maintained. Not only will you look nice and polished but you don't have to worry about someone staring at that dirt under your nail.

Don't overdo it with the perfume. Yes we all want to smell loverly (Yes, I meant to say loverly. Yes, I know it's not a word) but we don't want anyone to leave our presence nauseous.

Camilla Belle, fresh-faced & beautiful


Do have fresh and clean makeup. Even if you're not the makeup type of girl. Wearing mascara and lipstick can still give you that "made up" look without a full face of makeup.

Don't bring in that huge leather black bad into work. Keep it simple with a small purse or work handbag. It's also a good idea to keep it neutral colors. Yes, your purple animal print hobo bag will have to stay home.

Do change up your wardrobe with beautiful dresses. Just remember to keep it classy. Unless you can cover up with a nice cardigan or jacket, anything strapless, showing cleavage or your bare back is a no-no.

Don't let the world know what kind of panties you are wearing! Visible underwear is a HUGE fashion faux-pas, no matter what setting. Seamless underwear and a slip are essential to any woman's closet.

Do smile!! A smile is the perfect accessory to any outfit.


Aishwarya Rai Bachchan , Mila Kunis & Eva Longoria look stunning!
                               


These are pretty standard rules for most business'. I don't necessarily agree with them, in fact I've broken many of my own tips that I'm offering! However it is important to dress appropriately. "Time and Place", as my high school teacher constantly reminded us. I've gone from previously working with a coconut bra and Tahitian skirt, to M.A.C cosmetics, where they allow visible tattoo's and piercings, to (hopefully) a career as a banker where my skirt can't be more than 2 inches higher than my knees! Hopefully this has helped someone as it helped me.

A hui hou! (Till next time, till we meet again!)




2 comments:

  1. Very good advice Paips! These are very essential to a successful job interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative! Thanks! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete