Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bollywood Love

It's no secret that I love Bollywood....well, that's not entirely true. I love India. In every way. Whenever I feel down or mad I'll put on some Indian music, watch a Bollywood movie, google pictures, visit the only India market in Hawaii, or pick up some lunch with my sisters at the Taj Mahal Cafe. It is something that truly makes me happy and lifts my spirit.

Growing up I took an interest in many cultures aside from my own. Mexico, Egypt, Native American tribes, Japan and much more but strangely, never India. The closest I had ever come to the Indian culture were my 2 Indian math/science teachers in high school and even then, I was not interested. It was in Hilo, Hawaii for the Merrie Monarch Festival that I was shown the Bollywood movie "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" by my Aunty and cousin. It was very similar to the musicals I grew up watching so I immediately took a liking. The movie was funny, cheeky, emotional and filled with music. I cried like a baby at the end. Since then, I wanted more. I wanted to know everything about Bollywood and India. So I went out there and searched for everything I could find, bought books, tried the food, rented the movies, googled for pictures, I even went to "Bollywood Nights" to try and make friends.

Through my efforts, I have learned so much and it is something that I treasure. I went to a few more Bollywood nights, a Diwali festival and even a Krishna Temple. I found my favorite Indian food dishes, ordered my own sari, salwar kameez & lehenga choli from India. I started a substancial collection of Bollywood movies and I've made some good friends as well. One of those friends is getting married in October! My first Indian wedding that I am invited to...and I won't be able to make it. I am still recovering from this.

I am fortunate that my youngest sister shares the same love and enthusiasm as I do. She has been by my side the entire time, sharing the experiences and memories with me. I miss that.
My sister & I at Diwali

I hope to one day visit this beautiful country and experience it first hand for myself. In fact, before even considering moving to Arizona, I was planning a trip to India. It didn't quite work out the way I planned but that has not deterred me. I will make it there one day.

So, don't be surprised with all the Indian/Bollywood love I show here. There will be lots of it and hopefully there are other's out there who share the same love and zest for India as I do.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment