Monday, August 22, 2011

Hawaii, my home.

A year ago today I left home for the first time. Ideally that's when I should have started this blog. You know, to record and document every thing, every feeling and every moment that passed. That would've been optimal and normally this would've been the outcome of my procrastination but as it turns out, I had no idea that you could blog or should I say that I could blog. So here we are, my very first post a year later.

Every few weeks or so we have a party at our house. The amount of new people I am constantly meeting is amazing to me. I mean, come on...I'm from an island! Everyone knows someone who is someone's aunty's, friend's, cousin's, second nephew, once removed. I realize that formula might not be that bad but the point is, you could be related. A potentially huge problem when you're dating back home by the way. All I have to say is know your genealogy. Marrying your cousin is awkward. (oh yeah, it's happened!) Anyways, when meeting someone at these parties for the first time our conversation usually goes something like this.




"Hi, I'm so and so..."

"Hi, I'm Kanani."

"Ka...ne....? Sorry."

"Kanani. I know it's different. It's ok, I won't be offended if you don't remember."

"That's a nice name, I've never heard it before. What is it?"

"Aww thanks, it's Hawaiian."

"Hawaiian?! That's so cool. Are you visiting?"

"No, I live here."

"WHY WOULD YOU MOVE TO ARIZONA FROM HAWAII?!"

From there I would continue onto what has become an almost script-like explanation of my journey from Hawaii to Arizona. I love talking about where I'm from and I'm so flattered to hear how much people love Hawaii. How much they want to sit on the beach and watch the sunset. It makes me realize all over again how amazing it was to grow up where I did. However, it also makes me see how unique I am as well. Everyday I find something that I do different from most others. Before moving here, I ate white rice everyday with every meal. That's now been replaced with Mexican rice, which is so 'ono! (Hawaiian for delicious!). I call flip-flops, "slippers". I had to get into the habit of wearing shoes in the house, a big no-no back home. My friends think it's funny how I say, "stomach" or "cold". I wear socks with my slippers and the list goes on! My boyfriend gets a kick out of my "poor" English. I actually thought I spoke very well but apparently I still can't kick my pigeon dialect.

Although I laugh about it now, I struggled with it in the beginning. As anyone would I think. I pressured myself into trying to fit in, when I really should have celebrated my differences. I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin now than before and with no family or close friends around, I really had to learn how to stand on m own and feel confident. Something I don't think I could have experienced if I didn't leave the comfort and safety of home. So why did I leave? Well, it wasn't easy. Growing up I always said I was never going to leave Hawaii. I was gonna get married, raise kids and be set for life. I was pretty stubborn about it but after a few disappointing events, I needed something different. Then I met someone, well...I got back in touch with someone and he completely changed my world for the better. So what were these turn of events and who changed my life, you say?... We'll save that one for another post (It's quite an interesting story).

Yes, I miss my family terribly. I miss my friends, I miss dancing hula, I miss my home but I know that everything will be ok. I know that I am doing something wonderful for myself. If you have the chance to travel and experience something new, don't hesitate to try! The change and growth you see in yourself is incredible. I am growing and learning in ways I never could have done if I didn't get out there in the world. I'm happy I made the decision to leave and I'm sharing Hawaii everywhere I go.


 Our last family photo.
( The only one missing is my brother)

No comments:

Post a Comment